Guidance on Statements of Comparability (ENIC)

What is ENIC?

ENIC is the UK National Information Centre for the recognition and evaluation of international qualifications. It is managed by Ecctis Limited.

When do I need to use ENIC’s services?

ENIC offers statements of comparability for overseas qualifications for employment, study, or professional registration. They are also able to evaluate part-completed school qualifications too, particularly useful for those wishing to continue education in the UK.

*ENIC do not provide a grade comparability service.

Please always check the level of attainment you need to evidence with your employer or educational establishment.

If you need to evidence degree and English proficiency to the UK Home Office then you may need to use their specialist form, accessed through the Visa and Nationality Services.

How much does it cost?

The statement of comparability costs £49.50 + VAT + Delivery Fee (if applicable)

Please note that additional fees may apply, such as a translation waiver service or fast track application. Remember to check with support agencies and the Job Centre Plus if they can help with this cost – they may not but it is worth asking.

How do I apply?

Firstly, you need to register an account online, or log in if you already have an existing account.

You will need to provide clear colour photographs of your final certificate(s) and transcript(s). You can upload as many as you like, but please bear in mind this may take longer to process so only include the most relevant.

If the certificates are in another language, there are three options available in order to have these evaluated by ENIC

  1. Provide your own certified translation, this will need to be provided by a non-family member who will be willing to sign to the accuracy and validity of their translation. This could be a member of your local community support group for example.
  2. ENIC provide a translation waiver service which costs an additional £40.00 +VAT and covers the following languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Ukrainian.
  3. ENIC recommend Dialexy as an alternative route for translation services. Dialexy provides a no-obligation quote and delivery date service.

What is an e-statement?

ENIC offers a digitally verifiable document which you can download for up to 3 months after issue. Please note screenshots or copies of the document will not be valid.

What is the difference between the Statement of Comparability and the Certificate of Comparability?

They are the same, though the Certificate of Comparability is designed for display purposes. You will be invited to apply for one once you receive your Statement of Comparability. Please note that a Certificate is not essential to employment or education.

How long does it take?

ENIC aim to complete ass evaluations in 15 working days.

If you require your statement of comparability sooner ENIC offer a fast-track service, which commences upon approval of your documents by their Information Officer, it is at that point payment is taken.

The fast-track options are.

  1. 24-hour service £174.00 + VAT
  2. 48-hour service £124.00 +VAT

How can I learn more about ENIC’s process?

ENIC explain its methodology and evaluation criteria online, please see link below.

*** Please note the below options are for specific professions only ***

I want to apply for an Industry Skills Statement

These services are only for those working in construction, plumbing, electrical or land-based sector employment only.

ENIC outlines the application process for each of the industry skills statements if you are unsure which one you need please contact your employer (or potential employer) or the individual bodies directly [links can be found on the ENIC website].

This service will follow its own pricing plan and timeframes so please do check online.

Do I need to apply if I have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS)?

If you have QTS or are eligible for it you do not need apply, though should you still want you are welcome to.

If you are unsure if you are eligible, please contact the Teaching Regulation Agency [links can be found on the ENIC Website].

Published 22-07-22 (version 1.0)

For all queries, please contact